From the outside looking in, I’m sure many people would see my Facebook and Instagram and think I’ve had a pretty awesome year, and in lots of ways I have. However, social media only gives you the highlights, so I thought I’d use this blog to share the whole picture, or at least a bigger picture.
I have a very small attention span, so I’ve decided to write this as a bulleted list so that it’s easier to digest. Some of this won’t be easy to write, but I’m making a commitment that in 2018, I will share more than just the highlights of my life, so here goes…
- I’ve had another great year in business this year and feel like 2017 was the year I had the best work/life balance ever. I felt less guilty about being at work (mams will understand this) and had more quality time with Simon and Heidi. One of the major highlights was launching my own activewear collection, which was a dream come true!
- I joined the Sun FM team, and for the last 6 months have been presenting the Sunday morning breakfast show with my radio husband, Mr Tim West, and we recently found out that all of our listener stats have doubled, so a big thank you to everyone who has listened. I love radio, and it’s given me the push to re-start my podcast, on SoundCloud, for the new year (plus it’s easier than video as you don’t have to brush your hair)! You can follow it HERE.
- I’ve worked with some big brands and businesses this year, behind the scenes as a consultant, advising on social media and business development strategy. I’ve throughly enjoyed this work, but in doing so, it’s taken me away from working on my own brand and away from my first love…coaching people and being a PT. As a result, this year I’m opening up my diary again to take on 4 new client (you can check out the info HERE)
- This one is tough to write so I’ll just get to the point…I lost some friends. I’ve found this very difficult and sad, especially as some of them have been in my life for a very long time. I think that my biggest lesson here is that my expectations of others are too high, and had I been able to accept that everyone is different and have their own way of going about things and handling situations, things might be different…but they aren’t and I need to just suck it up now.
- On the flip side some existing friendships have grown stronger, and I’m very lucky to have such lovely, kind friends who I have tons in common with and I can completely be myself around.
- I’ve become a shareholder in three amazing businesses and I’m so excited to share more about these projects in the coming months.
- I’ve often been called naive when it comes to my view of other humans, but I genuinely think it’s taken me 31 years to realise that we are not all wired the same. This will make for a more guarded Katie in 2018, but ultimately one who doesn’t get hurt and isn’t disappointed.
- When it comes to health and fitness I’ve taken up Yoga and I love it, plus, after helping me realise I had a lot of Orthorexic behaviours, my good friend Ben Coomber has been instrumental in helping me have a much more down to earth relationship with food, and completing his online education, and reading his book has been epic. The fitness industry, and social media has a lot to answer for here and I promise to discuss this in a SoundCloud very soon.
- I’ve been so proud of Heidi since the day she was born, but this year she has really come into her own, with both her confidence in football and never caring that she is the only girl, as well as the work she’s done for several brands online both modelling and filming un-boxing videos.
- I’m also very proud of Mr. Katie, aka Simon, who never really gets the mentions that he deserves. He’s worked so hard this year on his business and it’s really paid off for him and he’s always so supportive of mine too.
- I’ve had a few health issues this year…from hormones to my heart but all is well now, so I’m looking forward to some good solid training sessions in the new year, once I’ve shaken this absolute monster of a flu!
- I learned that I love having a mic on. Whether it’s a head mic in a class, a lapel mic at a speaking gig or a hand held when I’m hosting an awards evening. I’ve worked hard on my stage skills this year and it’s paid off with several re-bookings and new gigs for the year ahead.
I’m excited about 2018, taking forward the successes of 2017 and learning some valuable lessons.
I can’t wait to get back on that gym floor, wear my Britney head set and teach more classes. It’s my first love, and if I do say so myself, I’m bloody good at it (I nearly retired earlier this year, but I’m very pleased I didn’t…thanks Mam for persuading me otherwise)…I’ll keep that story for SoundCloud.
Here’s to an awesome new year!